May 27, 2009

minor update

Here's the hoodie with the buttons. I wore it into the world today and man do I love this sweater. Not quite to the point that I wish it was fall instead of spring so I could keep on wearing it every day from now on, but almost. It's squooshy and cozy and I like the sleeve length and the fit (woo hoo! the 2nd thing I've made for myself that fits!) and...I'm already thinking about making this one again in maybe a tweed. Thanks for all of your kind comments.

Anyway that's enough about that. I started knitting with the sock yarn I spun and now I know why I got so little. I spun it too tight. The singles are probably about right (I'm lying. they're probably too tight.) but when I plied them together I was too enthusiastic. There's too little elasticity in the resulting yarn, though I have been reluctant to toss the whole lot into the trash yet and now have half a sock knit up. It's the most durable, thick, workhorse of a sock I've ever seen but until it gets finished and put on a foot I'm still undecided about whether or not it's impossible for it ever to have any sort of meaningful existence as a sock.

In the meantime I'm avoiding sockyarn denial by spinning my newfound love: grey Shetland wool. More later.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad your hoodie turned out! It really is lovely. I am still working on knitting a sweater for myself that I really love...we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete