March 31, 2010

tea's a brewin'

This is what 24 oz. of Riders on the Storm CMF fibre looks like spun up in a worsted weight 3-ply. I have about 1050 yds. now. I think I will need about 28 oz. total to make the Tea Leaves cardigan I have been craving. Not the fastest way to get a sweater, but I also haven't had a lot of time to dedicate to it lately. Having this week off is certainly helping, though.

I'm sure mine will weigh quite a bit more than those made in the called-for single ply yarn. Hopefully not in a bad way. Or else this pile will be a whole LOT of mittens. (I guess I would be ready for Christmas. But that would be sad nonetheless :(

More later. Happy Wednesday!

March 28, 2010

best friend shirt

I was organizing picture files and came across this one I had meant to share. For Christmas I made my daughter this t-shirt with an image of her friend, Brown Doggie, who she has been inseparable from since birth. The idea is from this fantastic book by Amy Karol (the template is downloadable); go check out her blog, too. She has tons of great food and creating things ideas.

Now I have a week off and wonderful house guest (my Dad) to look forward to. I hope you're having a great weekend too.

March 23, 2010

done like dinner

Pattern: Vancouver 2010 Adult Pullover by Dale of Norway/Dale Design
Yarn: Dale of Norway/Dalegarn Falk in colours black (#90), white (#20) and red (#4018)

Whew. I was happy to weave in my last end on this puppy, though it really was a fun sweater to knit. It has the shock cord at the bottom to cinch it in, the zippered neck (I bought the official Dale zipper) with the doubled collar (black on the outside, red inside), the cool badge. It seems warm and comfortable. It should fit the boy for several years. I just wish it wasn't so warm around here so he could wear it once or twice before next winter.

Now back to our regularly scheduled knitting...

March 13, 2010

a hat from my head

Pattern: my own
Yarn: Dalegarn Heilo in colours 5062, 5042 and 9145

I realize this is not the Olympic sweater I've been droning on about. That's nearly done. Really. But I got distracted making charts this week. Obsessed, actually. I had purchased 1 ball each of 3 colours of this yarn just to try it out and decided a hat was really the biggest thing to be made from it (when I finished I had very little of the light purple left). So I got to work thinking something up.

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. It was very cool knitting a chart I had made myself. I know there's not enough contrast between the light purple and green on the bottom bit. I'll probably do it again with another colour combo. Otherwise, I'm pleased.