July 27, 2014



A few weeks ago I decided to try a different dyeing technique, since many of my favourite dyers are doing gradients and colour block dyeing. I started out thinking I wanted to do a gradient, but trying to get a gradual colour transition without knitting up a blank first seemed tricky, so I decided to try long colour blocks instead. I divided a skein of sock yarn into two and each of those into thirds and then dyed a moss colour, blue-moss and blue on each.

The centre photo shows the resulting cakes. Their difference in diameter is due to forgetting I own a swift (bottom) and then remembering (top ;). The bottom photo shows the top-up socks I'm knitting two at a time on the left. The right has some handspun socks in similar colours. I'm so predictable.

Yesterday I finally snapped with the whole 2 at a time thing. It felt so incredibly slow. I think I'm just unusually slow at this technique.To cheer myself up I split them onto dpns to finish the rest. Here's their current state. Finally at the light blue! They'll be knee highs to use up as much yarn as possible.

This week Teresa from Canary Knits did a really lovely post on my designs here. She is such a talented designer herself  (check out her huge collection here!)I was humbled to be featured by her (and a bit guilty I've been so lazy about publishing stuff lately). I love reading her blog and learning about people I might not have known about otherwise.

Hope your weekend was good. Happy knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment